Friday, May 26, 2006

Don't talk to strangers

This is what my mother told me when I was a child.

I remember once being at the supermarket with my mother, and while her back was turned some man was talking to me. When my mother saw that I was conversing with a "stranger," she yelled at me and told me never to talk to strangers.

Yes, she spent a lot of time telling me never to talk to strangers, never to get into a car with stranger, don't believe anything a stranger tells me.

I really took the instructions to heart. When my mother then introduced me to her friends, I would clam up and not say anything. After all, if I never saw them before then they were strangers to me, I was just following orders. I was completely mystified how one adult could be a bad "stranger," and another adult a good "stranger" whom I was allowed to converse with.

I believe this was really bad child raising on the part of my mother. I suppose there's no harm in telling this stuff to a child who's naturally extroverted, but for a child who is already shy, like I was, I think this is devastating. I managed to reach the age of eighteen without being kidnapped by a pervert, but I was a shy and socially inept eighteen year old, not so good at interacting with people and dreadfully afraid of girls.

Of course there are other factors at work, but I really do think the message "don't talk to strangers" contributed to my problems. People are born naturally extroverted or introverted, but I believe that social phobias like shyness or fear of sex are also the result of our environment when we are young.

A good parent would try to encourage a naturally timid child to be more open and not make the situation worse by instilling fear.

2 comments:

  1. When I was in 6th or 7th grade my mom was talking to my dad about my neighbour who went out on a date with his GF and then my dad said to me "No dating; you can only bring them home".

    I didn't understand what he meant but I heard the words "No dating". I deeply respect and obey my dad since he's very wise so I immediately assumed relationships were banned like drugs and cigarettes.

    I followed that order for a decade and was afraid to even let my dad find out when I spoke to t a girl.

    Now it's too late and my childhood was ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. discord server search Discord Home. DiscordHome is a discord listing website, find discord servers and communities here! You can advertise, hire, post resumes and find partners for your discord server. DH deems itself as the home of discord where you can explore amazing and useful resources for all your discord and server needs. We are not affiliated with Discord!

    ReplyDelete